Who doesn’t love a good, healthy burger?
Yep, that’s right…this burger is made with 93/7 ground turkey (clearly my favorite meat this week), and it gives all the flavor of our good old fashioned fatty friend, without all the grease and calories. Lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, and spices give it a great zing. Top it off with cheese and some healthy extras, and you’ve got yourself a serious burger.
I love mine with avocado. My husband Michael loves his with sweet and spicy jalapenos. My son Jake loves his with cucumber and light mayo. My daughter Jane loves hers dripping with ketchup and everything else she can possibly find in the fridge.
These burgers are versatile. You can fix them under the oven broiler or on the grill, depending on your equipment and the weather. And feel free to use whatever bread you like. Our favorite is whole wheat slices or whole wheat buns.
So go ahead, have yourself a new-fangled burger. All taste, and no guilt. Now shake that booty.
California Turkey Burgers
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey (93/7)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 slices pepper jack or mozzarella cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- Your favorite additional toppings
- 8 slices whole grain bread or 4 buns
- Preheat oven broiler to 500 or preheat grill to medium
- Combine turkey, oats, Worcestershire, mustard, lemon juice, lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Form meat mixture into 4 patties and place on a baking sheet (pat burgers down thinner if you are using bread instead of buns)
- Broil burgers for about 5 minutes, then remove from oven, flip burgers, and broil for another 5 minutes (or grill for 5 minutes per side)
- Meanwhile slice avocado and prep any other burger toppings
- Remove burgers from oven, top each with cheese, and broil for another minute or two, or until cheese is melted (or if grilling, top each burger with cheese and let cheese melt)
- Transfer burgers to a plate and tent with foil
- Place bread on baking sheet (or grill) and broil/grill about 1 minute per side
- Build your burger!