Have y’all ever?! You have to trust me when I say this sandwich is delicious. Reminiscent of the zucchini burger served at our beloved Ramsey’s in Lexington, KY, this grilled balsamic zucchini on soft, sweet Italian bread with melted cheese is nothing short of scrum-dilli-o-cious.
It actually makes me think I want to be a vegetarian. For about three seconds. And then I come to my senses.
Still, it’s one of my favorite sandwiches, despite my love of all things meat.
We grilled zucchini over the weekend with pork chops and had plenty left over for sandwiches today, so this is actually a two-fer…it’s a side dish of grilled zucchini (with cheesy bread) or a sandwich!
A tip for slicing the zucchini lengthwise without cutting your finger off…slice one 1/4″ lengthwise strip off the side, then turn the flat side of the zucchini down on the cutting board so that it doesn’t roll around, then slice the rest.
Use any bread…french bread, wheat bread buns, or plain toast if you can’t find anything else. Turkey bacon is the best topping for the zucchini, but try packaged bacon bits in a pinch. That’s what we did today, and it tasted great. Or if you’re truly going the vegetarian route, just leave out the bacon altogether. It’s still fabulous.
Gettin’ yer veggies the yummy way. Amen to that. Now shake that booty!
Grilled Zucchini Sandwich
Prep and grill time: 25 minutes
- 3 small zucchini, halved and sliced lengthwise, about 1/4″ thick
- Heavy duty aluminum foil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil (or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Sweet Italian bread (or your favorite bread)
- 8 slices cheddar (or your favorite cheese…or mix and match like we did!)
- 8 slices turkey bacon, cooked (or bacon bits for sprinkling)
- Cook bacon on griddle or skillet and set aside on paper towel
- While bacon is cooking, preheat grill to medium, preheat oven broiler, and slice zucchini
- Place sliced zucchini on a large sheet of heavy aluminum foil, and turn up all 4 edges of foil to make a zucchini “boat”
- Drizzle zucchini with olive oil, vinegar, worchestershire, basil, salt, and pepper, and toss gently
- Grill on medium heat for about 10 minutes, tossing zucchini occasionally, until tender
- Meanwhile slice bread loaves in half and cover top of all bread faces with cheese
- Place bread on a baking sheet and broil in oven for about 3 minutes, until cheese is melted (don’t turn away from the oven!)
- Top cheesy bread bottoms with zucchini and bacon (or bacon bits), and cover with cheesy bread tops
- Oooh, taste the love!