I might love entrée salads more than any meal around. Well, unless you count a filet from Ruth’s Chris or Thai curry from just about anywhere. But the point is, when you’re going for healthy and quick and yummy, entrée salads are hard to beat.
And this roasted shrimp extravaganza is one of the best. In fact, I’m thinking about fixing this salad every day, because my shrimp-loving kids and husband practically crowned me queen last night during supper. All of them ate every morsel. Granted, I did use fresh lettuce from my sister’s garden, which made it ultra yummy. And they especially love shrimp with tails because it means they get to stick their hands in the bowl without getting scolded. And dessert was riding on whether they ate the healthy stuff. But there was absolutely no coercion involved!
This meal truly deserves the honor of “easy peasy lemon squeezy”, all citrus puns aside. It takes 20 minutes (tops) to prepare, including the shrimp roasting. Fresh shrimp are wonderful, of course, but we usually go with frozen in the bag because they are cheap and easy to store. Just whip ’em out into a colander and run the cold water over those cuties for a couple minutes — ready to roast!
Last night we had gorgeous weather (and nowhere to be!), so we ate our supper salads on the patio with Brit’s mango salsa and margaritas. If that’s not your style, a little crusty bread, cheese, and white wine would be an almost perfect substitute. Or iced tea. Or whatever your favorite springy drink may be!
Can you feel the warm breeze and smell the flowers? Oh, yes. Now shake that booty!
Roasted Shrimp and Citrus Greens
Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound (or thereabouts) medium to large peeled shrimp, fresh or frozen (tails on or off)
- Extra Virgin Olive oil (about 1 to 2 Tbsp for shrimp + 1/4 cup for dressing)
- salt and pepper (for shrimp + more for dressing)
- 8 oz spring greens (we mixed baby spinach with lettuce fresh from my sister’s garden!)
- 3 green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp honey
- fresh grated parmigiano reggiano (or parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 450 and thaw shrimp under running water (if necessary).
- Dump shrimp on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss it all around to coat the shrimp, then spread them out.
- Roast at 450 for about 6 minutes (depending on size of shrimp), just until they turn pink (set the timer and don’t overcook them!)
- Meanwhile make the dressing – wisk 1/4 olive oil, lemon juice, honey, a pinch of salt, and about 1/4 tsp pepper in a small bowl.
- Chop the green onions and avocado.
- Toss greens with dressing and green onions, top with avocado, shrimp, and grated parm. Fabulous salad!